Recently my husband and I went on a week long trip to the Washington and Oregon coast. Basically we toured all the way from Seattle down through the small coastal towns on the Pacific Ocean. It was an amazing trip! We ate so much seafood, but I digress.
I knew that I wanted to pack light because our trip included both a flight and a several-hours-long car ride, and I didn't want to be dragging along giant suitcases. But I was a bit unsure of what to pack because of the incredible range in northern Pacific coastal weather. It can literally go from raining buckets and 55 degrees to sunny and 80 degrees in the span of a couple of hours! So I came up with this easy and versatile packing list for our trip that fit into a carry on, and could be mixed and matched to create at least 8 (if not more!) outfits that would work for the variable coastal weather, warm or cool. Here it is!
- Loose shorts in a multi-colored pattern
- Simple white tank
- Bright tank in a color coordinating with the shorts
- Grey graphic tee
- Dark skinny jeans
- Black sweater jacket
- Neutral cargo jacket
- Large tote
The extras I included were a pair of nude sandals, (these are from Target and I'm in love with them, if you follow me on Instagram you'll see I wear them almost every day!) a pair of green wedge heels, and a straw fedora. That's it!
I made 8 different outfits from this list, and I know I could have made more using just those pieces. Below is what I came up with.
1. Grey graphic tee, jeans, cargo jacket, plus hat and nude sandals:
2. Patterned shorts, bright tank, black sweater plus green wedges:
3. Patterned shorts, grey graphic tee, black sweater plus hat and nude flats:
4. Patterned shorts, black sweater, cargo jacket (it was cold in Seattle!) plus nude sandals:
5. Patterned shorts, white ruffled tank, cargo jacket plus nude sandals:
6. Jeans, bright tank, black sweater, cargo jacket plus nude sandals:
7. Jeans, white ruffled tank, cargo jacket plus nude sandals:
8. Jeans, bright tank, cargo jacket plus green wedges:
My extras: I carried around my gigantic Steve Madden tote in a nude color. It served as a carry on and shopping bag and purse. And because I'm detail oriented and a tad ridiculous I did my nails using jamberry nail wraps in orchid tip and botanical gardens.
So there you have it, my basic carry-on packing list for a vacation to the coast. Have fun!