I've been a little quieter then usual around here, and today I'm excited to show you all why! I've been working (with Noah) on this project for a couple months now, and today I'm going to get to show you all the final version of his Mad Max: Fury Road costume.!
Last month, Noah and I took pictures of the first phase of his Mad Max: Fury Road costume. It was meant to be the 'easy' version of what will be his Halloween costume this year. It looked great, but lacked a lot of the important details that made Tom Hardy's Mad Max costume so interesting.
We added a shoulder pad, hand wrap, a backpack specific to Mad Max (instead of using Noah's beloved old backpack), leg brace, and various small details for the items attached to the backpack itself.
In the next week I'm going to share a tutorial for how to make your own version of Mad Max's shoulder pad too! And if you want to see a detailed tutorial for making Mad Max's shoulder pad you can find that here! Be warned, following is a gigantic number of pictures so that you, too, may appreciate all the detail!
Here's a little before and after of phase 1 and phase 2 of his costume:
As you can see, we added a ton of details for the final version!
The medical grade leg brace was a lucky thrift store find. Originally we were planning on building one, but then we found this. All we had to do was strip it of a lot of extra padding and weather the metal a bit.
Noah was especially proud of his Mad Max shotgun. It was originally a Nerf Break Barrel IX-2 N-Strike Blaster (in yellow and orange) that he deconstructed and painted to look like aMax's shotgun.
The location was amazing as well. We shot at the same abandoned cement factory that's just over the Idaho/Oregon border. There were endless options for places to take stunning post-apocalyptic photos.
To make the location even more perfect, there was a stretch of two lane road directly under the abandoned factory.
The top of the costume got the most re-working, mostly to add a lot of practical detail. He painted a thrifted camelbak brown, and we lashed various useful objects to the sides using leather scraps. We got his black scarf really dirty this time too, which helped with feeling authentic.