Now that fall is officially here (yay!!), I've been craving warm, hearty food in the worst way. An absolute family favorite are fluffy drop biscuits covered in creamy sausage gravy or slathered in butter and jam in the morning. Oh my yum.
Since we're still trying to eat mostly paleo/gluten-free foods, I decided to see if I could make a good gluten-free version of my super simple, tasty drop biscuits recipe. And it turns out I can! Gluten-free baking has come a looooong way from when it started, let me tell you. These were perfect, you literally could not even tell them apart! Better yet, my kids wolfed them down the next morning with butter and jam on their way out the door to go to school.
So today I'm excited to share this easy and really, really yummy recipe for gluten-free drop biscuits with you guys! But first, some delicious pictures:
Gluten-free fluffy drop biscuits recipe
2.5 cups of all purpose gluten-free flour mix ( I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all purpose flour)
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted (or oil)
1/2 cup arrowroot powder (or tapioca starch)
3/4 cup of buttermilk-or you can make your own by combining 3/4 cup of milk with 2 Tbsp vinegar
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the surface.
2. Mix your flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and arrowroot in a large bowl. Add in your melted butter.
3. In another bowl, mix your eggs and buttermilk. Slowly add in your flour mixture and stir until a soft, sticky wet dough forms.
4. Using a spoon, scoop up dough and roughly drop into 1.5 inch balls on your baking sheet. Make sure they're evenly spaced with a bit of space between them.
5. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the edges start turning a golden brown. Remove and let them cool, then serve with butter and jam, or pour creamy sausage gravy over them!
Enjoy your biscuits! And in the meantime, here are some more of my gluten-free and grain-free recipes to get you inspired!